Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain macaroni; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth. Gradually add cream and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese until melted. Add macaroni; mix well.
- Spread two-thirds of the macaroni mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread beef mixture to within 2 in. of edges. Spoon remaining macaroni mixture around edges. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 503 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 22, 2012
I made this for my family a few weeks ago, and it was a bit hit. The mac n cheese is creamy, and combined with the sloppy joe, makes a great casserole. My family loved it so much that I made it for a church dinner for 140 people, and got rave compliments and requests for the recipe. I did use 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground beef. Will make over and over again!
Mar 28, 2011
This is absolutely delicious! It will make it into my recipe box - the cheese and milk mix will seem a bit too liquidy at first but it cooks wonderfully. Perhaps use more sloppy joe.