- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain macaroni; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth. Gradually add cream and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese until melted. Add macaroni; mix well.
- Spread two-thirds of the macaroni mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread beef mixture to within 2 in. of edges. Spoon remaining macaroni mixture around edges. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forSloppy Joe Mac and Cheese
"I made this for my family a few weeks ago, and it was a bit hit. The mac n cheese is creamy, and combined with the sloppy joe, makes a great casserole. My family loved it so much that I made it for a church dinner for 140 people, and got rave compliments and requests for the recipe. I did use 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground beef. Will make over and over again!"
"This is absolutely delicious! It will make it into my recipe box - the cheese and milk mix will seem a bit too liquidy at first but it cooks wonderfully. Perhaps use more sloppy joe."