A can of sloppy sauce really speeds the preparation of these sassy saucy dogs. Sometimes we like to toast the buns and top the hot dogs with an Italian cheese blend for a slightly different taste. They're easy to freeze and heat up fast in the microwave for quick meals.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) sloppy joe sauce
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion in oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in sloppy joe sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place in buns; top with sloppy joe mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 398 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1108mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Sassy-Saucy Dogs in Quick Cooking July/August 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.