There’s nothing sinister about this snake. It’s filled with meat, sweet red pepper and cheese. You can paint the pizza dough any color or leave it plain.—Jaclyn Scanlan, Dayton, Ohio
Featured In: 25 Magical Harry Potter-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo, casings removed, or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- FOR DECORATION:
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Green food coloring, optional
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 slices ripe olive
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut one small strip of red pepper and reserve; chop remaining pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chorizo, beef, pepper, onion and garlic, crumbling meat, until no longer pink; drain.
- Roll dough into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Spread beef mixture lengthwise in middle of dough; sprinkle with cheese. Wrap dough around beef-cheese mixture. Pinch seam to seal; tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a parchment-lined 15x10x1-in. baking sheet, and form into a snake shape. Whisk egg and, if desired, food coloring. Paint snake with egg wash; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Decorate with two ripe olive slices for eyes and reserved red pepper strip for a tongue.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
- . Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Slithering Snake Roll in Ultimate Halloween 2016, p36