This jelly makes it a cinch to scare up a snack. Serve it with cream cheese and candy eyes for an ominous look.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Process: 10 min.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar, divided
- 6-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- About 6 drops green food coloring, optional
- Cream cheese and crackers, optional
- In a blender or food processor, place the jalapenos, half of the green peppers and 1/2 cup vinegar; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large Dutch oven.
- Repeat with remaining green peppers and another 1/2 cup vinegar. Add the sugar, cayenne and remaining vinegar to pan. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in pectin. Return to a rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Serve over cream cheese with crackers if desired.
Originally published as Texas Jalapeno Jelly in Ultimate Halloween 2012 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.