This jelly makes it a cinch to scare up a snack. Serve it with cream cheese and candy eyes for an ominous look.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Process: 10 min.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar, divided
- 6-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- About 6 drops green food coloring, optional
- Cream cheese and crackers, optional
- In a blender or food processor, place the jalapenos, half of the green peppers and 1/2 cup vinegar; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large Dutch oven.
- Repeat with remaining green peppers and another 1/2 cup vinegar. Add the sugar, cayenne and remaining vinegar to pan. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in pectin. Return to a rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Serve over cream cheese with crackers if desired.
Originally published as Texas Jalapeno Jelly in Ultimate Halloween 2012 Bookazine