Slice ‘n’ Fry Potato Pancakes
When you want a break from ordinary potato pancakes, reach for this recipe. It makes quite a few servings, so you can feed a hungry crowd. But with such fantastic flavor, don't be surprised if they disappear quickly.—Carl & Isobel Wanasek, Rogers, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cooked and shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Canola oil
- Applesauce, optional
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, egg, onion, salt and pepper; stir in 3/4 cup flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 1 minute. Shape into a 9-in. x 2-in. roll. Cut into 1/3-in. slices; roll into 4-in. circles. Fry in a small amount of oil until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Serve with applesauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 105 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Slice 'n' Fry Potato Pancakes in Taste of Home December/January 1996