Slice ‘n’ Fry Potato Pancakes
When you want a break from ordinary potato pancakes, reach for this recipe. It makes quite a few servings, so you can feed a hungry crowd. But with such fantastic flavor, don't be surprised if they disappear quickly.—Carl & Isobel Wanasek, Rogers, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cooked and shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Canola oil
- Applesauce, optional
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, egg, onion, salt and pepper; stir in 3/4 cup flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 1 minute. Shape into a 9-in. x 2-in. roll. Cut into 1/3-in. slices; roll into 4-in. circles. Fry in a small amount of oil until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Serve with applesauce if desired.