"I love this cookie dough since it's so versatile," relates Monica Gibbons of Dayton, Ohio. "You can add any kind of chips or nuts you like."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups "extras" (any one or combination of the following: chocolate, butterscotch, toffee or peanut butter chips, chopped candied cherries or nuts)
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in 1-1/2 cups "extras". Shape into a 15x2-in. roll; wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours or up to 1 week.
- To bake, cut into 1/2-in. slices. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 357 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Slice-and-Bake Cookies in Taste of Home April/May 1996