- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup colored sugar or nonpareils
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 7-in.-long roll (about 1-3/4-in. diameter); roll in colored sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are light brown. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients; spread over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews forSlice 'n' Bake Lemon Gems
"The lemon flavored goodies are great anytime of year!!"
"Melt in your mouth like a butter cookie but the lemon adds a touch of tartness."
"An easy recipe to make. I have to agree with TriciaAG. I too would leave off the coloured sugar. I think it looks nice around the edge, but detracts from the tartness of the lemon glaze, which is great. I think I would also make them just a tad thicker."
"I love these cookies--they really are gems! Full of flavor and beautiful on a holiday cookie platter. I match the color of the sorinkles I roll the dough in to the colors of the holiday we're celebrating."
"I love serving these cookies as they are so pretty and dainty."
"I will leave off the rolled in sprinkles step next time, I don't think they added anything, but the glaze does, and everyone enjoyed them at our Easter dinner."
"Great cookies. I'm generous with the lemon, and everyone (except lemon haters) love these"
"The icing is the best part of this recipe and I would use it on another sugar cookie recipe, but these cookies are too dry...almost like a tasteless shortbread."
"These lemon Slice 'n' bake cookies are quick and easy to mix and bake. I left my roll of dough in the refrigerator over night and then divided the roll in thirds before baking. I used three different colors of sugar for Easter and they were so very pretty.Next time I would double the dough and also cut them a little thicker so they are not quite so fragile.I took them to a church bake sale. Everyone thought they were delicious and lemony...esp. the yummy lemon glaze."