Skinny Eggplant Parmesan
You save a lot of calories when you bake the eggplant patties instead of frying in boil. I like to add some strips of sweet red pepper while sauteing the mushrooms for a pop of color.—Mary Bannister, Albion, New York
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place milk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant in milk, then bread crumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in basil and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine wine and remaining marinara sauce. Layer with half of the eggplant, mushroom mixture, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through and cheese is melted, 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 342 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 10g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Waistline Eggplant Parmesana in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011