Skinny Eggplant Parmesan
You save a lot of calories when you bake the eggplant patties instead of frying in boil. I like to add some strips of sweet red pepper while sauteing the mushrooms for a pop of color.—Mary Bannister, Albion, New York
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place milk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant in milk, then bread crumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in basil and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine wine and remaining marinara sauce. Layer with half of the eggplant, mushroom mixture, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through and cheese is melted, 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 342 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 10g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.