Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- Additional shredded carrot, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in 2 teaspoons oil; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, celery and onion in remaining oil for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrot and garlic; saute 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Stir chicken into tomato mixture; cook for 8-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard bay leaf. Drain spaghetti; serve with chicken mixture. Garnish with additional carrot if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 393 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 968mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 10, 2014
So good. We used a Rotisserre chicken instead and just added it in at the end.
Jan 15, 2014
This was really good. Some of the veggies were still a little crunchy, but no one complained about it.
Apr 18, 2010
We loved it. I will make it again!
Oct 12, 2009
Very good! I added additional basil and oregano. I served the sauce over whole grain spaghetti for added fiber.