A dear aunt shared this dish and recipe for our potluck wedding dinner. It's a savory combination of sausage, onions, peppers and zucchini in a tomato-based sauce—delicious!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope , cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 to 10 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage in oil over medium heat until browned. Add the peppers, celery, onion and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes until zucchini is tender.
Tip: This side item can be prepared the day before serving. Simply cook the zucchini for 3-4 minutes, then cover and refrigerate the mixture overnight. Reheat in a large kettle before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 94 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Zucchini in Down the Aisle Country-Style
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.