CORNBREAD is a staple in the South. Besides serving it with a meal, we use it in many other ways, creating a variety of delicious side dishes. This one makes a perfect accompaniment to chicken. It's simple and fast to prepare and makes the right amount for one or two. -Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup crushed cornbread stuffing or crumbled day-old cornbread
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the cornbread mixture and seasonings; mix well. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 296 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 243mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Stuffing in Reminisce Extra October 1998