CORNBREAD is a staple in the South. Besides serving it with a meal, we use it in many other ways, creating a variety of delicious side dishes. This one makes a perfect accompaniment to chicken. It's simple and fast to prepare and makes the right amount for one or two. -Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup crushed cornbread stuffing or crumbled day-old cornbread
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the cornbread mixture and seasonings; mix well. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 296 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 243mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Stuffing in Reminisce Extra October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.