Skillet Steak Fajitas
When friends call to ask me for a new recipe to try, I often suggest these flavorful fajitas. Just put the beef in the slow cooker before church and come home to a hot delicious main dish.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 6 to 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes, optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the steak in oil. Place steak and drippings in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the lemon juice, garlic, cumin, seasoning blend, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add green pepper and onion; cover and cook for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions; spoon beef and vegetables down the center of tortillas. Top each with cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Fold in sides of tortillas and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 313 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Fabulous Fajitas in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition