This has always been a favorite dish of our Sisters who work in a hospital. When we get back to the convent, it's a quick and easy recipe we've used for years. Served with Italian bread and a tossed salad, it makes an excellent meal.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) tomato juice (about 2-3/4 cups)
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 package (7 ounces) spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomato juice, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add uncooked spaghetti.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the spaghetti is tender, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 288 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 979mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Spaghetti in Country Extra May 2000
Feb 19, 2010
It was FUN to make all in one dish. It needed more of a tomato/spaghetti zip, I use splenda and I may have added too much sugar, seemed too sweet. Next time I will omit the sugar, and maybe try some "home-canned" tomatoes in it.