Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, peas, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch, bouillon and water until well blended; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in sour cream and heat through (do not boil).
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until potatoes are heated through and cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Prepare beef mixture as directed but do not add sour cream. Freeze cooled meat mixture in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large skillet, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Stir in sour cream and proceed as directed.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 448 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 10, 2019
I made this a couple of weeks ago and my family enjoyed it so much they asked me to make it again. So I made it tonight. I didn't add the sour cream because my husband doesn't like it. I didn't have any more worchester sauce left so I substituted A1 sauce. Also I used canned mixed vegetables, which I drained and washed to get rid of salt. Still delicious. Winner.
Apr 10, 2019
I had a similar need of chicken bouillon powder. I found it in the Hispanic aisle at Walmart - Knorr Caldo con Sabor de Pollo - a 35 oz jar for less than $4
Apr 9, 2019
Knorr makes beef bouillon granules. Sometimes you have to look in the Mexican foods section.
Feb 9, 2019
Mpesci, I needed beef bouillon granules for something else I make and couldn't find them locally either. I ended up ordering them online. Bought 3 jars and that was over a year ago. Just opened the second jar. You can also crush the cubes if you really need to.
Feb 8, 2019
Where do you find beef bouillon granules? I've looked and looked for them and cannot find in grocery stores in Indianapolis.
Jan 16, 2019
This is Cottage Pie. Shepherds Pie is made with lamb, hence the name “shepherd”. Cottage pie is made with beef or any other meats. Corn and peas have no place in either dish, although carrots may make an appearance.
Dec 15, 2018
Long back my aunt made a shepherds pie-guess that was some 34 or 37 years back-never had shepherds pie since then-loved it then and am happy that I was reminded of those days and -lovely recipe-yummy.thanks
Dec 5, 2018
A family favorite I make several times.
Dec 5, 2018
This is my all time favourite recipe! I actually make it with Gardein vegetarian "ground beef" and use vegetable broth instead of beef broth as i'm vegetarian and it's soooooooooo good. My meat loving husband and step-son request this meal all the time. <3
Oct 19, 2018
after reading it seems tasty and yummy will def give it a try!