Skillet Sausage Cornbread
This unique corn bread is prepared in a skillet. I cut it into wedges and serve it with bacon, eggs and fresh fruit for a hearty breakfast.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- In a 9-in. ovenproof skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in sausage and reserved drippings. Return to skillet.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 272 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Sausage Cornbread in Best of Country Breads