Skillet Sausage Cornbread
This unique corn bread is prepared in a skillet. I cut it into wedges and serve it with bacon, eggs and fresh fruit for a hearty breakfast.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- In a 9-in. ovenproof skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in sausage and reserved drippings. Return to skillet.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 272 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Sausage Cornbread in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.