I've used this recipe successfully with steak, antelope and venison. I generally serve it with red cabbage and egg noodles that have been sprinkled with poppy seeds.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 3/4 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookies (about 6 cookies)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a large skillet, saute beef and onion in oil until beef is browned and onion is tender. Add gingersnaps and allspice to the skillet. Slowly stir in beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until mixture is thickened, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vinegar; mix well. Serve over noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 472 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1031mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Sauerbraten in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook