- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Optional toppings: crumbled cooked bacon, crushed cheddar cheese fish-shaped crackers, chopped fresh chives and freshly ground pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Add macaroni; cook and stir until heated through. Top as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSkillet Mac & Cheese
"Can use milk instead of half and half, and can reduce amount of cheese - and still tasty."
"This is delicious! Made just as the recipe stated. Very creamy and cheesy. Will defiantly make this again."
"Creamy, cheesy...what skillet Mac & cheese should be. I Doubled it, used milk & added 1/4 tsp each of ground mustard & roasted garlic powder. I shredded a block Of Cheddar used a box of penne pasta it was deliciously adult. Yummy."
"This is how I have always made mine except I use whatever milk I have on hand. Add a half (or whole) can of Rotel tomatoes with green chile if you like a little heat. It is amazing."
"This is pretty much how I make my mac and cheese. I use both Velveeta and cheddar. YUM!"
"This recipe is already a family staple. I wouldn't change a thing. It amazing how many people's comments got off-topic. If you have never had a recipe, don't comment on it. If you think it's not a healthy recipe, don't comment on it. No one needs your advice on how to eat. As many have said, this is a treat. Not an every day dish. EVERYTHING in moderation. Yes. I WOULD give it to my kids. Food is to enjoyed. Not feared."
"Very good, I used shredded cheese not velveeta though. It was delicious."
"I use this when i crave some comfort food but i also cut up strips of bacon and cook that in the oven so i can stir it in with the macaroni ;)"
"This is a good recipe for quick Mac & cheese."
"Have made this several times and it is always a hit. I usually double the recipe. After I finish preparing it in the skillet I will put the Mac n cheese in a casserole dish sprinkled with some shredded cheddar cheese. bake it at 350degrees for about 15 minutes. I do this for presentation purposes."