- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Optional toppings: crumbled cooked bacon, crushed cheddar cheese fish-shaped crackers, chopped fresh chives and freshly ground pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Add macaroni; cook and stir until heated through. Top as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSkillet Mac & Cheese
"This is delicious! Made just as the recipe stated. Very creamy and cheesy. Will defiantly make this again."
"Creamy, cheesy...what skillet Mac & cheese should be. I Doubled it, used milk & added 1/4 tsp each of ground mustard & roasted garlic powder. I shredded a block Of Cheddar used a box of penne pasta it was deliciously adult. Yummy."
"This is how I have always made mine except I use whatever milk I have on hand. Add a half (or whole) can of Rotel tomatoes with green chile if you like a little heat. It is amazing."
"This is pretty much how I make my mac and cheese. I use both Velveeta and cheddar. YUM!"
"This recipe is already a family staple. I wouldn't change a thing. It amazing how many people's comments got off-topic. If you have never had a recipe, don't comment on it. If you think it's not a healthy recipe, don't comment on it. No one needs your advice on how to eat. As many have said, this is a treat. Not an every day dish. EVERYTHING in moderation. Yes. I WOULD give it to my kids. Food is to enjoyed. Not feared."
"Very good, I used shredded cheese not velveeta though. It was delicious."
"I use this when i crave some comfort food but i also cut up strips of bacon and cook that in the oven so i can stir it in with the macaroni ;)"
"This is a good recipe for quick Mac & cheese."
"Have made this several times and it is always a hit. I usually double the recipe. After I finish preparing it in the skillet I will put the Mac n cheese in a casserole dish sprinkled with some shredded cheddar cheese. bake it at 350degrees for about 15 minutes. I do this for presentation purposes."
"Mac and Cheese is the perfect comfort food. I watch calories, but every now and then you need to splurge and throw caution to the wind. This recipe is creamy, the way it should be. It is a 4 star recipe as is. Sharp cheddar is a much better cheese to use instead of processed cheese, and gives it a richer flavor. For the mac and cheese loving adults in my family, I use 1/2 pound of sharp cheddar and 1/4 pound of smoked Gouda cheese. I also add 1/2 tsp of dry mustard. That gives it the kick it needs. For those complaining of the floury taste, you need to add the flour to the butter and cook in the skillet, stirring continuously, for 1-2 minutes before adding the half-and-half. This will get rid of the floury taste."