- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Fresh arugula, halved cherry tomatoes and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Add macaroni; cook and stir until heated through. Top as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSkillet Mac & Cheese
"I used whole milk and 1/2 lb of velveeta and it was simply amazing. My kids raved. Will be making it again soon!"
"I have tried many mac and cheese recipes, and this was the best and creamiest so far. I used regular milk instead of half and half, a 1/2 lb. Velveeta, and added 1/2 tsp each of garlic and onion powders. It was SO easy, quick, and it reheats much better than other mac and cheese recipes I've tried, probably due to the Velveeta. I topped it with fresh parsley and crumbled bacon. This will be my new go-to mac and cheese recipe!"
"I've always wanted to make mac n cheese from scratch instead of from a box. I came across this recipe and it was great! The cheese sauce was nice and smooth and everyone enjoyed it. Will make again!"
"Can use milk instead of half and half, and can reduce amount of cheese - and still tasty."
"This is delicious! Made just as the recipe stated. Very creamy and cheesy. Will defiantly make this again."
"Creamy, cheesy...what skillet Mac & cheese should be. I Doubled it, used milk & added 1/4 tsp each of ground mustard & roasted garlic powder. I shredded a block Of Cheddar used a box of penne pasta it was deliciously adult. Yummy."
"This is how I have always made mine except I use whatever milk I have on hand. Add a half (or whole) can of Rotel tomatoes with green chile if you like a little heat. It is amazing."
"This is pretty much how I make my mac and cheese. I use both Velveeta and cheddar. YUM!"
"This recipe is already a family staple. I wouldn't change a thing. It amazing how many people's comments got off-topic. If you have never had a recipe, don't comment on it. If you think it's not a healthy recipe, don't comment on it. No one needs your advice on how to eat. As many have said, this is a treat. Not an every day dish. EVERYTHING in moderation. Yes. I WOULD give it to my kids. Food is to enjoyed. Not feared."
"Very good, I used shredded cheese not velveeta though. It was delicious."