Skillet Jalapeno Corn Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 bacon strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, jalapeno and bacon.
- Pour into the skillet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges; serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 342 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2019
I TRIED THIS ON A RECOMENDATION FROM ONE OF THE FOOD TESTERS ON SIGHT., IT IS DELICIOUS AND WILL GO INTO MY PERMANENT FILES. THANKS TOH!!!
Jan 24, 2019
This was SO good ...served with a big pot of ham and beans. I do not like sweet cornbread but husband does and I like hot but husband doesn't so I comprised. I cut the sugar in half and only used 1T. jalapeno rather than 2T.
Jan 24, 2019
It's amazing! Will make this again and again :D
Mar 3, 2014
This was a good moist cornbread. I left out the sugar. My husband and kids love sweet cornbread, but I don't like it.