- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and mushrooms until tender. Stir in ham, pepper, broth and water; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. Top with green onions and cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forSkillet Ham & Rice
"This was delicious. As others have said I used all chicken stock, did not use just water. I steamed some fresh green beans that I cut in bite size pieces. I used Asiago cheese as that is what I had on hand. I needed to simmer about 10-15 minutes to absorb all liquid and have rice tender. I used brown rice. easy and put together in no time. This is a good way to use up left over ham ."
"for bgc, the general rule of thumb for regular rice is 2:1. for each cup of regular white rice add two cups liquid (chicken broth} and simmer about 15 minutes instead of five.hope this helps answer your question."
"Can someone tell me how to make this with regular rice? For some reason my husband does not like instant rice. He loves ham in anything. From the list of ingredients it certainly looks like a 5 star item. Thanks."
"Next time I will add more rice as it wasn't quite enough. It's a good thing I chose to just have a salad. I used my IP (10 minutes and NPR) and used Uncle Ben's flavored rice. Great recipe."
"My kids loved this! I added chopped frozen broccoli and used all chicken broth with instant brown rice. I did have to add more liquid."
"easy meal to prepare."
"When my husband requested a "quick" dinner I turned to this favorite of ours. I used instant brown rice instead of white, just as tasty. It takes more liquid and slightly longer cook time with the brown rice. My mother-in-law substituted green beans in place of the mushrooms and that was equally as good. Great dish for "2" people!"