Skillet Cabbage Rolls
This makes a hearty, one-dish meal that’s easy to prepare and attractive to serve. Prepare enough for seconds.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, egg, onion, salt, thyme and pepper. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, in a large skillet. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice; pour over rolls. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; cook 5 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 381 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 963mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Cabbage Rolls in Country Extra May 2007