- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use). Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, egg, onion, salt, thyme and pepper. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, in a large skillet. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice; pour over rolls. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; cook 5 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSkillet Cabbage Rolls
"not enought sauce and poor directions on cooking . no pan size other then for cabbage, putting together sauce is awful"