- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups salsa
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook beef and peppers over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in salsa, corn and water; bring to a boil.
Stir in tortilla strips. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until tortillas are softened. Sprinkle with cheese; cook, covered, 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forSkillet Beef Tamales
"I make this a lot. My family loves it. I add onions with the peppers, season with Lawry's Seasoned Salt, cayenne pepper (to taste) and a few drops of liquid smoke. I serve with sour cream, sharp cheddar, shredded lettuce and tortilla chips. Great reheated. I have frozen it and reheated it with no problems as well."
"easy to make! We loved it. We call this shoveling food.We will definitely make again!!"
"This was okay. I will make again but add olives and nacho cheese sauce and green onions."
"easy to make and very tasty!"
"Good recipe that is so easy to prepare - a quickie! There are many similar recipes with so many more ingredients, but this one is a go to when you really don’t want to cook one night.."
"I could not get enough of this delicious, easy dish. Will make again SOON!"
"My husband and I loved this dish! We used flour tortillas instead of corn. We like our food a bit spicier, so we plan to add green chilies next time. Very easy to make and very delicious!"