Skillet Arroz con Pollo
From Dalton, Pennsylvania, Cheryl Battaglia notes, “This chicken-and-rice dish is great for both family and special occasion dinners. It’s a tasty main dish made all in one skillet…and it smells so good while it cooks!”
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add rice; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the broth, sherry, lemon peel, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, peas and olives. Cover and simmer 3-6 minutes longer or until rice is tender and chicken is heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 373 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Skillet Arroz Corn Pollo (Chicken with Rice) in Light & Tasty February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.