Skillet Arroz con Pollo
From Dalton, Pennsylvania, Cheryl Battaglia notes, “This chicken-and-rice dish is great for both family and special occasion dinners. It’s a tasty main dish made all in one skillet…and it smells so good while it cooks!”
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add rice; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the broth, sherry, lemon peel, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, peas and olives. Cover and simmer 3-6 minutes longer or until rice is tender and chicken is heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 373 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Skillet Arroz Corn Pollo (Chicken with Rice) in Light & Tasty February/March 2007