- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- In a large skillet, brown meat in batches in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with vegetables. Combine the tomato sauce, water and soup mix; pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forSkier's Stew
"My family loved this stew. I modified it a bit. First, I added a whole coarsely chopped yellow sweet onion, I made my own onion mix from a recipe on TasteofHome.com, I used a 28 oz. can of chunky tomato sauce, added white and red turnips and finally, I used chuck roast from Earth Fare and had the butcher cube it for me. The meat was very tender!! The tomatoes give it a little tangy flavor, which was delicious. I let it sit for about 2 hours after it finished cooking and it was still warm for dinner and the veggies were tender. Made 6 big servings."
"Better than my stew"
"This recipe is so easy yet so delicious"
"This was a hit at my house ,very tasty indeed thank you for sharing , I will make it again soon:))"
"Mark loved it"
"I followed this recipe to the letter and it was AWFUL. Carrots and potatoes were still crunchy. We had to order pizza."
"it was really good. In stead of water i used vegatable stock and beef broth. plus i added celery too."
"Add salt and pepper for additional flavor."