Someone is watching! These stuffed mushrooms are awfully tasty. The toothpicks look threatening, but they help folks grab their share of the finger food.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 24 medium fresh mushrooms (about 16 ounces), stems removed
- 10 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 container (8 ounces) cherry-size fresh mozzarella cheese
- 24 ripe olive slices
- 24 orange sword picks or toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place mushroom caps in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 teaspoons in pan.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, basil and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
- Place about 1 teaspoon bacon mixture into each mushroom cap. Bake 7-9 minutes or until tender. Top each mushroom with a cheese ball; bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is softened. Remove from oven; immediately press an olive slice on top of cheese. Insert a sword pick into each cheese ball. Serve warm.
Originally published as Skewered Eyeballs in Halloween Bookazine 2016