VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 24 medium fresh mushrooms (about 16 ounces), stems removed
- 10 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 container (8 ounces) cherry-size fresh mozzarella cheese
- 24 ripe olive slices
- 24 orange sword picks or toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place mushroom caps in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 teaspoons in pan.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, basil and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
- Place about 1 teaspoon bacon mixture into each mushroom cap. Bake 7-9 minutes or until tender. Top each mushroom with a cheese ball; bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is softened. Remove from oven; immediately press an olive slice on top of cheese. Insert a sword pick into each cheese ball. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Skewered Eyeballs in Ultimate Halloween 2016, p21