Skewered Chicken ‘n’ Sweet Potatoes
For a different kabob combination, try this quick and simple recipe. The unusual molasses butter sauce adds an appealing accent to the chicken, potato and sweet onion combo. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into chunks
- CHIPOTLE MOLASSES BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Place sweet potatoes and water in a large microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 8 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, pepper and salt. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add half of the marinade. Place onions and sweet potatoes in another large resealable plastic bag; add remaining marinade. Seal bags and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, molasses, chipotle peppers and lemon peel. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. On 12 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the chicken, sweet potatoes and onions. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with chipotle molasses butter.