- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Cook rice according to package directions. Spread on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 2 hours or until dried and browned, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the broth, chicken, mushrooms, onions, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, bouillon and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add peas; cook for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, heat oil in a skillet. Fry rice in hot oil until it is slightly puffed. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Immediately spoon some hot rice into each bowl and it will sizzle. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forSizzling Rice Soup
"@ Lady Naava, It sounds like your oil was not hot enough when you added the rice. If your oil was hot, it would have puffed and would not have absorbed the oil. As always, you can adjust the seasonings for your own taste on any recipe. :)"
"I've had this in restaurants, but I found this recipe really time consuming to make, and rather on the bland side. My rice never 'puffed out' in the hot oil as the instructions suggest. A time frame on how long that is supposed to take would be nice. I also didn't like the way the oil made the rice so greasy. Overall, this was a disappointment."
"Although this soup takes several steps over the 3 hours, it is very tasty and filling. My husband loved it and was happy that there was plenty for another meal. I was a little short on peas and so added a few baby lima beans. It worked out well."