"I altered the original recipe for this strata-like dish and replaced the sausage with fresh vegetables," writes Kate Hilts of Fairbanks, Alaska. "I can easily assemble it the night before a busy day. Then all I have to do for dinner is bake it and make a salad."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute, seasoning blend and pepper; pour over the vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.