I originally came across a five-layer version of this dish at a Home Extension program. I increased the ground beef and added the celery myself, and my family prefers this version.—Charlotte McDaniel, Williamsville, Illinois
Featured In: Grandma's Best Suppers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Layer beef with onions, potatoes and green pepper, seasoning each layer lightly with salt and pepper. Top with celery, tomatoes and basil.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Six-Layer Dinner in Country Ground Beef 1993, p81
Reviews forSix-Layer Dinner
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2012
"this recipe is very tasty. The only thing I would like to know is it six or eight servings for that calorie count? I would like the recipe to specify."