Sirloin Veggie Kabobs
Planning your Labor Day cookout menu will be no work at all when you have Trisha Ward's classic kabob recipe to call on. "Feel free to use cauliflower or other favorite vegetables," she suggests from Atlanta, Georgia.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 16 fresh baby portobello or large fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add beef cubes. Seal bag and turn to coat. Pour the remaining marinade into another large resealable plastic bag; add the mushrooms, onions and peppers. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate beef and vegetables for up to 4 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade from beef. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef and vegetables.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 268 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jul 11, 2013
Very good. Liked the refreshing balsamic flavor that comes through and not so heavy that you lose the fresh flavor of the meat and veggies.
Jun 1, 2010
Easy and delicious. The main flavor you'll taste is the balsamic vinegar.