- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Sprinkle beef strips with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, wine, bay leaf, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Return beef to the pan; cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSirloin Strips over Rice
"We thought it was good"
"Hi, I am Karen Dunn that submitted this some years ago. It is great over mashed potatoes or noodles. The longer you simmer it the thicker it gets. Left overs are awesome. It freezes beautiful. If you put the rice on a platter and make a well in the rice and pour the meat mixture into the center, it makes a beautiful presentation Served with hot rolls and you have a winner. Oh when you make it, make sure it is DRY red wine or you will be disappointed. Glad your enjoying it."
"This was really good. The only change I made was to cook it in the slow cooker for about 6 hours instead of the stove top. I had some very tough steak I needed to use, and that worked really well."
"Yum!! This was easy to make and delicious. My 17 month old boys loved it, too!In the second step, before bringing the sauce to a boil, I added 1 tablespoon of granulated (quick cooking, 1-minute) tapioca. I prefer my sauce to be a little thicker, so this was perfect.I served this meal over mashed potatoes instead of rice.This is definitely a meal that I will make again!"
"We really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy to make and the steak was juicy and flavorful. I like to use fresh basil & thyme instead of dried."
"I'm on a roll. Yesterday my 2 year old and 3 year old liked my TOH Lemon chicken, and today they LOVED the Sirloin strips and rice recipe. All the flavors just blended together so beautifully. My 3 year old kept saying how delicious it was and asked for more. Yay. I've never seen my 2 year old eat steak before,but he liked this one. :) Thank you!!"
"This was FANTASTIC!! My husband and I rarely agree on meals but we did on this one. It's going into our recipe box, for sure! I used a little bit more garlic (we just used garlic powder because I didn't have any minced on hand) and I used an Italian diced tomatoes. Served with an herb and garlic pasta & rice combo. YUM! YUM! YUM!"
"It was a good recipe and everyone loved it. The draw back though was we could still smell the cooked food in our apartment for hours and it did not smell so good anymore. So I will not make this recipe anymore."