Sirloin Caesar Salad
A tangy sauce that combines bottled salad dressing, lemon juice and Dijon mustard flavors this filling main-dish salad. "You save on cleanup time because both the steak and bread are cooked on the grill," comments Carol Sinclair of St. Elmon, Illinois.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 pound)
- 1 cup creamy Caesar salad dressing
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 12 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Place steak in a shallow dish. In a bowl, combine the salad dressing, mustard and lemon juice; set aside 3/4 cup. Pour remaining dressing mixture over the steak. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Brush both sides of bread with 1/4 cup of the reserved dressing mixture. Grill bread, uncovered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted. Wrap in foil and set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Place romaine and tomato on a serving platter. Slice steak diagonally; arrange over salad. Serve with toasted bread and remaining dressing mixture.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 282 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Sirloin Caesar Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 1998