Simply Elegant Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 pounds tomatoes (about 10 medium)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge in ice water. Peel and quarter tomatoes; remove seeds.
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons chives, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup until blended. Return to the pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with remaining chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 23, 2014
It worked for me. As stated, just bring the tomato to a boil in a pot and then simmer only 6-7 min. I'm a cream of tomato soup fan and this is one of the better recipes I've tried. Thanks, Heidi -- I'll be making it again.
Feb 9, 2014
I can't really honestly rate this one as is because I felt like the tomatoes needed some sort of liquid to boil in. I added about a cup of beef broth and then only used 1 1/2 cups cream at the end. This soup had a great taste like that, but who knows what it would have tasted like if I had tried to boil just the tomato quarters?