Simple Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes6-8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- In a large saucepan combine the broth, water and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a small saucepan, saute onions in butter over low heat. Stir in the flour, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper until blended. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into rice mixture. Add chicken and pimientos; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 348 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 6, 2017
Fantastic flavor! I used fat free half and half (to reduce the saturated fat) and straight chicken broth (reduced sodium) in place of condensed soup that I could not find locally. Turned out great!