- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) mild chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomato with green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, optional
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forSimple Taco Soup
"I love this recipe!! I have tweaked the recipe a little I dont add the ranch dressing mix, and I do it without beans taste good on corn chips or tortilla chips, I had some on elbow macaroni and it was good!! My husband loves it too!!"
"I make this often and, as with many recipes, I make changes such as adding an onion and not draining the corn before adding it. Sometimes I pour it over rice or pasta and top it with shredded cheese. It's even better the next day and kids like to use tortilla chips as edible spoons."
"http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/homemade-ranch-seasoning-mix/ here is a link to make your own dried ranch mixhttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/222165/homemade-taco-seasoning-mix/ and a homemade taco seasoning mix....eliminate the salt in both and add salt to taste if you are worried about salt consumption"
"I have made this soup many times over the years. My husband likes mixing pasta with it and calls it Mexican goulash. The kids like topping it with shredded cheese and sour cream. To fab411, the additional of the packet of ranch salad dressing is included with "Stir in the remaining ingredients." To Woolyhobbies, it's obvious you haven't made the soup and are only injecting your personal opinion about salt consumption. Why don't you create your own low sodium version and post it to be reviewed? I appreciate the reviews and comments from those who actually made the dish and gave an honest opinion. There are some great suggestions given for variations that make this a very versatile recipe."
"Honey Moley...that's a boat load of salt in only 1 cup of soup. What hungry adult is going to eat only 1 cup? A doctor at the Mayo Clinic is quoted as telling us (who are NOT on a low salt diet) to consume 2000 mg of salt for the WHOLE day so with a cup and a half you will be eating more than is healthy. It may be delicious but I'll have to pass."
"An envelope of ranch salad dressing mix is included in the list of ingredients but is not referred to in the directions. Please clarify."
"I made this soup 2 days ago with only a couple changes: 1 lb each gr. beef & Italian sausage, with some onion and garlic powder cook with the meat. I only added less than 1 cup additional water than called for in the recipe and the soup is delicious! We don't like a watery soup but prefer substance and this worked out well. Unlike some posts we liked the pinto beans in the soup!"