Simple Sugar Cookies
Powdered sugar takes the place of granulated sugar in this sweet standby from Maxine Guin of Barnhart, Missouri. "I received the recipe for this tasty cookie from a cook I worked with at our local school," she recalls.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Shape into two 5-in. rolls; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 152 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Simple Sugar Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2000