Simple Sugar Cookies
Powdered sugar takes the place of granulated sugar in this sweet standby from Maxine Guin of Barnhart, Missouri. "I received the recipe for this tasty cookie from a cook I worked with at our local school," she recalls.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Shape into two 5-in. rolls; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 152 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Simple Sugar Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.