- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, candied fruit, raisins, almonds, extracts, lemon peel, egg and yolk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead five times. Roll dough into a 10-in. x 8-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; curve ends slightly.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forSimple Stollen
"I have been baking this wonderful recipe since I first found it in 2009. I thought it was so good, I mailed a piece of the stollen along with the recipe to a family member, and since then, just about every one in my family uses this recipe. My family is German, and we always looked forward to our mother baking stollen during the holidays. Her recipe uses yeast and seemed too difficult for me. This recipe is easy and always delicious! It tastes fine as written, or you can vary the amount of candied fruit or nuts (chopped pecans instead of almonds) I like to eat mine with a little margarine spread on it.....yummy!"
"This is an update to my previous review (below). This stollen recipe is fantastic! It's easy make and is extremely addictive! The only change I make is doubling the amount of almond extract and omitting the nuts. I also tend to eat it spread with butter :-)! Try it, you will not be disappointed!This recipe is great! I make at least a triple recipe every Christmas. My intention is to give as gifts, but I end up consuming most of the loaves!"
"Once I found this recipe I've never used my mother in laws famous stollen recipe! easy, moist, delicious...need I say more?"
"My 90 yr old Grandmother has been looking for a moist stollen recipe I made this Christmas morning, and it received 2 thumbs up from her and everyone else who tried it. Tasted like a fruitcake, very flavorful."
"My mother used to make the yeast Stollen every year for Christmas and found this recipe last year. We compared it to the yeast type this year, and aside from the non yeast Stollen being just a little more dense, there is no difference in taste. Yuma,AZ"