My children, who are vegetarian, rave about this souffle. Plus, I can make it for breakfast, brunch or as a side dish.—Rosemary McCormack, Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Recommended: Say “Oui!” to Our Favorite French-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fine dry bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, combine soup and cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Cool.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored; stir into soup mixture. In another bowl, beat six egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into soup mixture.
- Spoon into a 2-qt. straight-sided baking dish coated with cooking spray and dusted with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until the souffle is risen and golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Simple Souffle in Country Woman November/December 2003, p36