Shrimp fans will be bowled over by our Test Kitchen’s tasty take on chowder. The creamy broth is chock-full of vegetables. Chop up leftover cooked potatoes or use canned ones.
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 pound cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced potatoes, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the shrimp, potatoes, broth, corn, seafood seasoning and thyme. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Simple Shrimp Chowder in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p8
Reviews forSimple Shrimp Chowder
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review