Simple Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- Pinch pepper
- Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in mustard. Sprinkle sausage and cheese evenly over bread.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, cream and pepper. Pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 286 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 25, 2014
I've made this many times and my family always eats every bite! I make exactly as stated. It's fast, easy and ingredients are usually on hand. I've used fresh sausage and also the pre-cooked frozen sausage bits. Thanks for this recipe!
Aug 27, 2012
Perfect for weekend company.... I made this ahead and froze it uncooked, thawed overnight in the fridge and baked it in the morning! The mustard really adds something special :) It was very easy to put together, and no expensive ingredients either.