Simple Mexican Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the refried beans, oregano, cumin and garlic powder; heat through.
- Place three noodles in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles. Combine salsa and water; pour over noodles.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until noodles are tender. Spread with sour cream. Sprinkle with olives, cheese and onions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 355 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 655mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Mar 9, 2015
I have made this for years since I first found it and it is a family and friends favorite. Very good recipe
Apr 29, 2013
I made this recipe for the first time many months ago. We love southwest flavors, and this is a winner! The family loves it, and the recipe has now been placed amongst our family "favs"!
Mar 17, 2012
This was fabulous with a few tweaks. first, it seemed way too watery. Next time I will cut the water to 1 cup. I used a corn and black bean salsa that was great! Also I did not spread the sour cream over the lasagna; just a dollop on each serving. It was surprised at how little cheese it had, but we didn't even miss it!
Sep 20, 2011
This was an easy Lasagna recipe not having to precook the noodles. I LOVE that for convienence. I am not a big refried bean person, but it actually went well with everything. I am surprised how good this is. The only complaint I have is that the ends of my noodles didn't cook... But i chopped them off. No biggy... Thank you for the idea. Maybe next time I won't put as many black olives on either... It seemed to hinder the flavors.
Aug 14, 2011
This was very yummy! My daughter who hates salsa even loved it!
Mar 30, 2011
Such a great recipe! I used a stone baking dish and coated the bottom with salsa. I added one can of hominy for some extra fiber and texture and 1/2 package taco seasoning mix. Can't wait to eat the leftovers for dinner tonight!
Jul 6, 2010
I used chili powder instead of garlic powder and added a small can of green chilis. Plus I melted some shredded cheddar and mozz on the top during the last couple of minutes of cooking.
Apr 12, 2010
I made this and it was so good, my husband love it and couldn't believe it was all diet, low fat. I will be making this again.
Jan 28, 2010
I make this often. I made it once for a friend who had a death in their family and gave it to her unbaked. It sat "soaking" in the refrigerator overnight and I think it may have been even better that next day.
Oct 19, 2009
I changed the sour cream to 1 1/4 cup, No olives, changed green onions to green peppers, and I also used ground turkey. My daughter doesn't like all the chucky veggies and she had 2 helpings. It was a keeper....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.