Simple Mediterranean Chicken
I learned to cook with a Mediterranean flair while living in Israel. You'll find this chicken captures that wonderful warm-weather taste.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil. Remove chicken and set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet. Saute onions and garlic until tender. Add parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Return chicken to skillet; cover with onion mixture. Sprinkle with olives. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40-45 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Serve over rice or noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 425 calories, 28g fat (5g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 965mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Mediterranean Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook
May 8, 2012
I used boneless/skinless pieces, only 4. This was delicious & easy. Definitely different. We served it over gluten free, thai noodles. You have to love olives though :)