- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a soup kettle or large saucepan, saute the carrots, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, water, zucchini, basil, salt, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans, spinach, macaroni and parsley. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSimple Italian Vegetable Soup
"Excellent. I added ground turkey and a little tomato paste."
"I made this soup with the addition of one pound of ground sicilian sausage...It was wonderful and a hardy one dish winter delight."