Simple Italian Tossed Salad
—Mary Elizabeth Costello, Venice, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, romaine, artichokes, pimientos and onion. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Just before serving, whisk dressing. Pour over salad; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with cheese; toss again.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 157 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Charlies' Salad in Reminisce May/June 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.