Simple Irish Soda Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (4 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Shape into a 5-in. round loaf. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 211 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 22, 2015
I've never made Irish Soda Bread before and wanted a recipe that only made a small amount...this recipe was perfect! My husband and I both enjoyed it with our St. Patty's Day meal and I will definitely make it again!
Mar 14, 2014
I made this yesterday and it was good.
Mar 17, 2012
This recipe is very good. I didn't have raisins on hands, but I substituted blueberries instead. Turned out great! I will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing.
Mar 9, 2010
I have made this recipe twice. The first time I misread the amount of butter and did indeed put in 4 tablespoons. That was too much butter. The second time I made it according to the recipe and it was excellent. I plan on making this again for St Patrick's Day.
Sep 30, 2009
did you mean 4 tablespoons butter instead of teaspoons?
Sep 23, 2009
This is the nicest Irish Soda Bread that I have ever seen or tried and I now live in Ireland. Thank you.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.