Simple Herb Rice
"I revised an old stuffing recipe several times to come up with this simple savory side dish," shares Lisa Mathew of Buffalo, Missouri. "It's a breeze to prepare using instant rice, and everyone loves its herb flavor."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes or reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt, optional
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; add to the skillet. Stir in rice, parsley, sage and celery salt if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 202 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Simple Herb Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.