Simple Hamburger Hot Dish
My dad particularly loved this casserole, which has been a family favorite for over 60 years. It’s just a simple, hearty combination of ground beef, potatoes and kidney beans. Both my husband and I grew up on farms in the Midwest, where lots of cattle are raised and lots of beef used in recipes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potatoes, beans, soup, parsley, chili powder if desired, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 362 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Hamburger Hot Dish in Country February/March 2006